12.15.2010

As promised...

The best part of Jim's welcome home party (besides him finally being home) was....







CAKE POPS!

I saw these on bakerella.com a few months ago and had been wanting to try them, but was waiting for a good occasion. They're very time consuming and really easy to screw up, but once you get the hang of them they're fun too. I wasn't adventurous enough to try any of the crazy designs shown over at bakerella, but I'm pretty sure they taste just as good no matter what shape they're in.

To make:
Prepare a box of your favorite cake mix and let cool completely.
Crumble into tiny pieces, then add 3/4 can of your favorite frosting, and mix together.
Roll mixture into balls and let chill in refridgerator or freezer.
Melt chocolate.
















Take out 5-10 cake pops from freezer.
Dip stick into chocolate, then stick into the cake ball about 3/4 of the way.
Dip entire cake ball and stick into chocolate.
Tap stick against side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
Put stick into styrofoam block and allow to set.



I found these to be much easier when working in small batches. The first batch I did, I melted too much chocolate at once and it ended up burning. I also took out all of the cake balls from the freezer at once and they started to get too warm by the end, so they were falling apart when I dipped them into the chocolate. But my mess ups turned into cake balls instead of cake pops!

These really are SO good and are worth spending time making... check out bakerella for more ideas and instructions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment