1.26.2011

Pittsburgh's Going to the Super Bowl!

I've had a sugar cookie recipe that I've been wanting to try for a while, and since I've also been wanting to retry royal icing after my slightly failed attempt, I thought I'd make some Steelers cookies for the game this past weekend.

My royal icing skills still need some major work - I don't think my hand will ever be steady enough to make it work - but the cookie base this time was much better than the last. If I were to make these again, I'd fill the cookies entirely in white royal icing and then draw on the whole logo using edible markers. I'm thinking I might have to try that for the Super Bowl!

The number of cookies this recipe makes will vary based on the size of your cookie cutters. I used a large round cutter and got about 20 cookies. The dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months if you don't want to use it all at once.

Steelers Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing

For the cookies:
3/4c softened butter
1c sugar
1t baking powder
1/4t salt
2 eggs
1t vanilla
2.5c flour

For the icing:
4T meringue powder
1/2c water, scant
2.5c confectioners sugar
1t light corn syrup


Divide dough in half. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
Roll dough to about 1/4" thick. Cut out using cookie cutters or knife.


Let cookies cool completely before decorating.


Add corn syrup. Increase speed and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 mins.
Using this icing, pipe the outline of the cookies, and the logo outline.
Add water to the icing, one tablespoon at a time, until it is the consistency of syrup.
Cover the icing with a damp towel and let sit for several minutes.
Run a rubber spatula through the icing gently to remove air bubbles.
Separate out a small portion of the icing into three bowls, leaving most of the icing in the main bowl.
Transfer the white icing to a squeeze bottle and use it to fill the white areas of the logo.
(Don't fill the whole way - fill in lines and use a toothpick to spread to the edges.)
Add gel food coloring to the other three bowls - yellow, red, and blue.
Repeat the process of filling the cookies using the colored icing.
Let sit overnight.
Using an edible food marker, write in the team name and outline the logo.


0 comments:

Post a Comment